Transport yourself to a tropical paradise with these crispy coconut shrimp. The air fryer creates a golden, crunchy coating while preserving the succulent and juicy shrimp inside. Dipped in a tangy sauce, these coconut shrimp make a delightful appetizer or main course that will have you dreaming of sandy beaches and crystal-clear waters.
Crispy Coconut Shrimp
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Cooking spray
- Preheat your air fryer to 400°F (200°C) for a few minutes.
- Prepare three separate bowls: one with flour, one with beaten eggs, and one with a mixture of panko breadcrumbs, shredded coconut, salt, and black pepper.
- Dip each shrimp into the flour, shaking off any excess.
- Next, dip the flour-coated shrimp into the beaten eggs, allowing any excess to drip off.
- Finally, coat the shrimp in the breadcrumb and coconut mixture, pressing gently to adhere.
- Place the coated shrimp in a single layer in the air fryer basket, making sure they are not touching each other.
- Lightly spray the shrimp with cooking spray to help them turn crispy.
- Cook the shrimp in batches, if necessary, for approximately 6 to 8 minutes, flipping them halfway through the cooking time.
- The shrimp should be golden brown and the coconut coating should be crispy.
- Once cooked, remove the shrimp from the air fryer and let them cool for a few minutes before serving.
Serve the crispy coconut shrimp as an appetizer or as the star of your main course. The combination of the crispy coating and the tender shrimp creates a delightful contrast of textures. Enjoy them with a tangy dipping sauce for a burst of flavor.